Dates and Times
- Sunday, July 28, 10:00 am – Tuesday July 30, 3:00 pm, with Negotiating Orchestras Workshop on Saturday, July 27, starting in the a.m.
- Boston, Massachusetts
Host Member Orchestra and Local
- AFM Local 9-535, representing the Boston Ballet Orchestra, Cape Symphony, and Portland (ME) Symphony.
(Click on the picture above for the Welcome Message from AFM Local 9-535)
- Agenda (as of July 27)
- Once again, we are going to be using an app to help communicate with you at the conference this year. We will be using the same app, Events XD, that we used last year, so many of you should still have the app downloaded on your device. If not, please search for “Events XD” in the app store on your device, and download the free app before you come to the conference.
- Once you have downloaded the app, go to the search section, search for ROPA, and select the 2019 conference.
- You can also view the app content on any web browser at https://www.eventsxd.com/ .
- Click on “Browse Events,” enter “ROPA” in the search bar, and select the 2019 conference.
- As of now, the information is very bare bones. More will be added in the coming days as the board prepares for the conference. So, I advise you to get in the habit of hitting the refresh button each time you enter the app. This will ensure that you have the most up to date information available.
- We will of course also have paper schedules and information available to those who need it, but hope that this makes your conference experience easier.
Presenters/Speaker Materials/Other Documents
All ROPA Delegates are expected to file a report on his or her orchestra’s situation or activities over the past year. It should be filed with the ROPA Secretary by July 2nd, 2019 and you should bring copies to the Conference to distribute to the other Delegates and Conference guests, as directed by the ROPA Secretary. The report should be between 200 and 350 words, and fit on one page.
Please begin your report right now – it’s never too early. Try not to spend more than a half hour to one hour writing your report, but do make it easy to read and understand. You will be able to view the Delegate Reports as submitted by ROPA Delegates for the 2019 Annual Conference in Boston, MA, on the link below.
Delegates only will be able to view the 2019 Orchestra Reports HERE as they become available (please log in to the website, and follow instructions for viewing restricted pages).
Conference E-mail Archive
- Find conference-related e-mails HERE.
Host a Conference
If you’re interested in hosting a ROPA Conference, please contact us.
To hold a ROPA Conference in your city, ROPA requires an invitation from your Local as well as your orchestra committee. The ROPA Secretary will send you a copy of the guidelines and information for hosting a ROPA Conference, with information your orchestra and your Local will need.
- Hilton Boston Logan Airport, One Hotel Drive, Boston MA, 02128
- Phone: 617-568-6700
- Online Reservation: https://www.hilton.com/en/hi/groups/personalized/B/BOSLHHH-ROPA-20190723/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG
- Group Name: Regional Orchestra Players’ Association (ROPA)
- Group Code: ROPA
- Phone Reservation: 1-800-HILTONS
- Identify as part of ROPA: Regional Orchestra Players Association – July 23 – 31.
- Guest(s) name
- Home or business address
- Email address
- Requested room/bed type
- Check in and check out dates
- Special room arrangement requests may be made at the time of the call.
- Cut off date is July 2. Hotel room space in Boston is expensive!- rooms can be in the $300-$400 range per night. Please take care of this sooner rather than later!
Reservation requests received after the cutoff date will be accepted on a space available basis at the group rate.
- Room Rates:
- Single – $199 + taxes (14.45%)
- Double – $199 + taxes (there are a limited number of double rooms)
- REGISTER FOR THE CONFERENCE HERE: http://ropaweb.org/ropa-join/ropa-conference-registration/ You must also check-in at the conference, where you will receive conference materials and your ID badge. Register by July 2nd.
Getting to the Hotel from Logan
The Hilton Boston Logan Airport is connected to Logan International Airport. A down-loadable PDF with instructions is here. Text of the PDF follows:
As the only hotel directly connected to Terminals A & E at Logan International Airport, guests can walk from the airport to the hotel via a temperature-controlled sky bridge.
Walking From Terminal A From Baggage Claim, take the elevator by carousel one to Level Three. Proceed down the hall and onto the moving walkway to the next elevator bank. Take the elevator to Level Two to the Hilton sky bridge. Upon entering the Hotel, take the elevator down to Level One and proceed to the Front Desk to check-in.
Walking From Terminal E From Baggage Claim, take the elevator by Dunkin’ Donuts to Level Four. Proceed down the moving walkway to the second elevator bank. Take the elevator to Level Two to the Hilton sky bridge. Upon entering the Hotel, take the elevator down to Level One and proceed to the Front Desk to check-in.
Negotiating Orchestra Workshop
If your orchestra is negotiating during the 2019-20 season, the AFM will pay the Pre-approved Orchestra Delegate for the extra hotel night and one day Per Diem for Friday, July 26 so that you can attend the Negotiating Orchestra Workshop on Saturday, July 27.
All ROPA Delegates are expected to attend the ROPA Conference. If you are a Delegate and can not attend, please make arrangements for your Alternate Delegate to go to the Conference. All ROPA AFM Local Representatives are invited to the Conference, as well as other AFM Federation staff.
If you would like to present a resolution on the floor of the ROPA Conference — especially if it involves an amendment to the ROPA Bylaws — we ask that you submit it, in a format consistent with Robert’s Rules, to the ROPA Secretary by July 1, 2019.
If you are a Delegate, your Local is required to pay “the reasonable and necessary expenses of sending one delegate to the appropriate annual conference.” This should include airfare, hotel, and a modest per-diem for meals.
Please attend a meeting of your Local’s Executive Board before the conference to discuss your expenses, and also to tell them what kinds of things you expect to get information about at the conference. This year’s speaker topics will be announced soon.
If you can’t make it to a Local board meeting, at least give a call to your Local officers to talk with them about the ROPA conference.
This year’s ROPA Officer elections will be for Vice President, Secretary, and four Members-at-Large. If you’re interested in running, please plan your travel so you can remain in Phoenix over Thursday night in order to attend the post-Conference Executive Board meeting if you’re elected.