Dates and Times
- Tuesday, August 1 – Thursday, August 3, 2017 with Negotiating Orchestras Workshop on Monday, July 31st, 2017, starting in the a.m.
- Times for conference sessions TBD.
- Phoenix, AZ.
Host Member Orchestra and Local
- Arizona Opera Orchestra and AFM Local 586.
- Westin Phoenix Downtown Hotel, 333 North Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ.
Hotel Phone: 602-429-3500
Reservation Phone: 866-716-8108
Book Your Room
- Please go to either link to register: Regional Orchestra Players (OR copy and paste the following link into a web browser)https://www.
- Hotel deadline: Cut-off date for guest room reservations is July 25, 2017. Reservation requests received after this date will be accepted on a space availability basis only, and may be at a higher rate per night. Please be sure to get the ROPA room rate at the hotel. ROPA’s meeting room rates depend on a high attendance at our negotiated attendee room rate, and if you obtain some other discount rate you will not be included in our room count.
Travel Agent Susan Levine is available to assist in making travel and lodging arrangements. Her contact information is: email@example.com
Light Rail Instructions from Phoenix Airport
1) At the airport, look for signs to the PHX Sky Train
2) Take this train out of the airport to the 44th St/Washington Station of Valley Metro Rail
3) Exit the Sky Train
4) Take the westbound train to the Central Station, which is Van Buren and Central Avenue.
5) The Westin is across the street from the station, on the east side of Central (runs north-south, as does the train)
6) Cost: $2.00 a trip
- REGISTER FOR THE CONFERENCE HERE: http://ropaweb.org/ropa-join/ropa-conference-registration/ . You must also check-in at the conference, where you will receive conference materials and your ID badge.
To be posted here.
All ROPA Delegates are expected to file a report on his or her orchestra’s situation or activities over the past year. It should be filed with the ROPA Secretary by July 1, 2017 and you should bring 110 copies to the Conference to distribute to the other Delegates and Conference guests. The report should be between 200 and 350 words, and fit on one page.
Please begin your report right now – it’s never too early. Try not to spend more than a half hour to one hour writing your report, but do make it easy to read and understand. You will be able to view the Delegate Reports as submitted by ROPA Delegates for the 2017 Annual Conference in Madison, Wisconsin, on the link below.
- 2017 Orchestra Reports are found HERE
All ROPA Delegates are expected to attend the ROPA Conference. If you are a Delegate and can not attend, please make arrangements for your Alternate Delegate to go to the Conference. All ROPA AFM Local Representatives are invited to the Conference, as well as other AFM Federation staff.
Negotiating Orchestra Workshop
If your orchestra is negotiating during the 2017-18 season, the AFM will pay the Pre-approved Orchestra Delegate for the extra hotel night and one day Per Diem so that you can attend the Negotiating Orchestra Workshop on July 31st, 2017.
If you would like to present a resolution on the floor of the ROPA Conference — especially if it involves an amendment to the ROPA Bylaws — we ask that you submit it, in a format consistent with Robert’s Rules, to the ROPA Secretary by July 1, 2017.
If you are a Delegate, your Local is required to pay “the reasonable and necessary expenses of sending one delegate to the appropriate annual conference.” This should include airfare, hotel, and a modest per-diem for meals.
Please attend a meeting of your Local’s Executive Board before the conference to discuss your expenses, and also to tell them what kinds of things you expect to get information about at the conference. This year’s speaker topics will be announced soon.
If you can’t make it to a Local board meeting, at least give a call to your Local officers to talk with them about the ROPA conference.
This year’s ROPA Officer elections will be for Vice President, Secretary, and four Members-at-Large. If you’re interested in running, please plan your travel so you can remain in Phoenix over Thursday night in order to attend the post-Conference Executive Board meeting if you’re elected.
Host a conference
If you’re interested in hosting a ROPA Conference, please contact us.
To hold a ROPA Conference in your city, ROPA requires an invitation from your Local as well as your orchestra committee. The ROPA Secretary will send you a copy of the guidelines and information for hosting a ROPA Conference, with information your orchestra and your Local will need.