Dates and Times
- Tuesday, July 31st – Thursday, August 2nd, 2018 with Negotiating Orchestras Workshop on Monday, July 30th, 2018, starting in the a.m.
- Portland, Oregon
Host Member Orchestra and Local
- Portland Opera Orchestra and AFM Local 99.
- University Place Hotel and Conference Center, Portland State University, 310 SW Lincoln Street, Portland OR
- Reservation Phone #: (503) 221-0140
- Please have the following information ready when you call:
- Identify as part of ROPA: Regional Orchestra Players Association – July 27-August 3
- Guest(s) name
- Home or business address
- Email address
- Requested room/bed type
- Check in and check out dates
- VIP status (presenters, invited by ROPA paid guests, etc.
- Special room arrangement requests may be made at the time of the call.
- Cut off date is July 9. Hotel room space in Portland is scarce – take care of this sooner rather than later! Reservation requests received after the cutoff date will be accepted on a space available basis at the group rate.
- Room Rates:
Economy: $109 + 15.3% tax
Standard: $129 + 15.3% tax
Comfort: $139 + 15.3% tax
Other room charges: $10 per person above 2 guests in each room; $15 per night rollaway bed fee. Group rates are good 3 days before and 3 days after the above dates, based on availability.
- REGISTER FOR THE CONFERENCE HERE: http://ropaweb.org/ropa-join/ropa-conference-registration/ You must also check-in at the conference, where you will receive conference materials and your ID badge. Register by June 25th.
Transportation Options to/from PDX
Transportation options HERE.
All ROPA Delegates are expected to file a report on his or her orchestra’s situation or activities over the past year. It should be filed with the ROPA Secretary by July 1, 2018 and you should bring 110 copies to the Conference to distribute to the other Delegates and Conference guests. The report should be between 200 and 350 words, and fit on one page.
Please begin your report right now – it’s never too early. Try not to spend more than a half hour to one hour writing your report, but do make it easy to read and understand. You will be able to view the Delegate Reports as submitted by ROPA Delegates for the 2018 Annual Conference in Portland, OR, on the link below.
- 2018 Orchestra Reports not yet live.
Negotiating Orchestra Workshop
If your orchestra is negotiating during the 2018-19 season, the AFM will pay the Pre-approved Orchestra Delegate for the extra hotel night and one day Per Diem for Sunday, July 29th so that you can attend the Negotiating Orchestra Workshop on Monday, July 30th, 2018.
All ROPA Delegates are expected to attend the ROPA Conference. If you are a Delegate and can not attend, please make arrangements for your Alternate Delegate to go to the Conference. All ROPA AFM Local Representatives are invited to the Conference, as well as other AFM Federation staff.
If you would like to present a resolution on the floor of the ROPA Conference — especially if it involves an amendment to the ROPA Bylaws — we ask that you submit it, in a format consistent with Robert’s Rules, to the ROPA Secretary by July 1, 2018.
If you are a Delegate, your Local is required to pay “the reasonable and necessary expenses of sending one delegate to the appropriate annual conference.” This should include airfare, hotel, and a modest per-diem for meals.
Please attend a meeting of your Local’s Executive Board before the conference to discuss your expenses, and also to tell them what kinds of things you expect to get information about at the conference. This year’s speaker topics will be announced soon.
If you can’t make it to a Local board meeting, at least give a call to your Local officers to talk with them about the ROPA conference.
This year’s ROPA Officer elections will be for Vice President, Secretary, and four Members-at-Large. If you’re interested in running, please plan your travel so you can remain in Phoenix over Thursday night in order to attend the post-Conference Executive Board meeting if you’re elected.
Presenters/Speaker Materials/Other Documents
Host a conference
If you’re interested in hosting a ROPA Conference, please contact us.
To hold a ROPA Conference in your city, ROPA requires an invitation from your Local as well as your orchestra committee. The ROPA Secretary will send you a copy of the guidelines and information for hosting a ROPA Conference, with information your orchestra and your Local will need.