Dates and Times
- Tuesday, July 26, 10:00 am – Thursday July 28, 3:00 pm, with Negotiating Orchestras Workshop on Monday, July 25, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Costa Mesa, California
Host Member Orchestra and Local
- AFM Local 7
Hotel/Reservations (Deadline for ROPA Discount: July 1)
- Hotel: Hilton Orange County/Costa Mesa,
- Phone: 714-540-7000
- Online Reservation: https://www.hilton.com/en/book/reservation/deeplink/?ctyhocn=SNACMHH&groupCode=ROPA&arrivaldate=2022-07-22&departuredate=2022-07-30&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECT
- Room Rates:
- 2 Queen or 1 King – $179
- NOTE: Attendees have the ability to book 3 days earlier than the 23rd and 3 days later than the 28th, and still get the conference room rate, if they want to spend a few extra days.
- If reserving by phone, be sure to request the special ROPA Conference rate.
- Check In: 04:00 PM
- Check Out: 11:00 AM
- Outdoor Pool: 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Basic High Speed Internet: Complimentary in the Guestrooms
- Pet Policy: Pets Allowed $100.00 Pet Cleaning Fee Non-Refundable
- Fitness Center: 24 Hours
- Business Center: 24 Hours
Getting to the Hotel from John Wayne Airport
- Shuttle to and from John Wayne Airport: 6:00am-11:00pm. Hotel phone #: 714-540-7000
- REGISTER FOR THE CONFERENCE HERE: http://ropaweb.org/ropa-join/ropa-conference-registration/ You must also check-in at the conference, where you will receive conference materials and your ID badge. Register by July 1.
Negotiating Orchestra Workshop
If your orchestra is negotiating during the 2022-23 season, the AFM will pay the Pre-approved Orchestra Delegate for the extra hotel night and one day Per Diem for Sunday, July 24 so that you can attend the Negotiating Orchestra Workshop on Monday, July 25.
This year’s ROPA Officer elections will be for President, Treasurer, and four Members-at-Large. If you’re interested in running, please plan your travel so you can remain in Costa Mesa over Thursday night in order to attend the post-Conference Executive Board meeting if you’re elected.
Conference Email Archive
- Find conference-related emails HERE
All ROPA Delegates are expected to file a report on his or her orchestra’s situation or activities over the past year. It should be filed with the ROPA Secretary by July 1, 2022 and you should bring copies to the Conference to distribute to the other Delegates and Conference guests, as directed by the ROPA Secretary. The report should be between 200 and 350 words, and fit on one page.
Please begin your report right now – it’s never too early. Try not to spend more than a half hour to one hour writing your report, but do make it easy to read and understand. You will be able to view the Delegate Reports as submitted by ROPA Delegates for the 2022 Annual Conference in Costa Mesa, on the link below.
Delegates only will be able to view the 2022 Orchestra Reports HERE (link not yet live) as they become available (please log in to the website, and follow instructions for viewing restricted pages).
All ROPA Delegates are expected to attend the ROPA Conference. If you are a Delegate and can not attend, please make arrangements for your Alternate Delegate to go to the Conference. All ROPA AFM Local Representatives are invited to the Conference, as well as other AFM Federation staff.
If you are a Delegate, your Local is required to pay “the reasonable and necessary expenses of sending one delegate to the appropriate annual conference.” This should include airfare, hotel, and a modest per-diem for meals.
Please attend a meeting of your Local’s Executive Board before the conference to discuss your expenses, and also to tell them what kinds of things you expect to get information about at the conference. This year’s speaker topics will be announced soon.
If you can’t make it to a Local board meeting, at least give a call to your Local officers to talk with them about the ROPA conference.
Presenters/Speaker Materials/Other Documents
- Link to Speaker Materials/Other Documents (as provided – link not yet live).
If you would like to present a resolution on the floor of the ROPA Conference — especially if it involves an amendment to the ROPA Bylaws — we ask that you submit it, in a format consistent with Robert’s Rules, to Naomi Bensdorf Frisch by May 22. Please watch the Delegates discussion list for opportunities to comment on proposed resolutions.
- Agenda (tbd)
Host a Conference
If you’re interested in hosting a ROPA Conference, please contact us.
To hold a ROPA Conference in your city, ROPA requires an invitation from your Local as well as your orchestra committee. The ROPA Secretary will send you a copy of the guidelines and information for hosting a ROPA Conference, with information your orchestra and your Local will need.